Genealogy & Local History
It's All Relative
Your Family History Goes Digital!
Posted by mmulholl on 05/13/13
OK. You've done your spring cleaning and discovered all those old photographs and VHS tapes of family gatherings. . What to do with them? Easy. Digitize them! With your Arlington Heights library card, you can use the resources available in our new Digital Studio to convert old media into new. Contact Digital Services to schedule an...
The Kathrine Shackley Room for Local History and Genealogy, located on the first floor of the library, includes:
The Genealogy Collection
- Books, periodicals, newspapers, maps, and access to several online databases
- An extensive microfilm collection
The Local History Collection
- Local church records
- Various Arlington High School yearbooks
- Information on the subdivisions, people, places and events of Arlington Heights
The following resource is available for use only in the library.
Clio – Digital genealogy books and county histories from several Midwest and Eastern states. Available in the Shackley Room as well as on selected computers in the library.
- All readers have print capability.
- Two readers have the additional capability to email or save images to a flash drive.
- The microform readers are located in the Local History/Genealogy room on the first floor, along with the library's microform collection. Readers can be used to read personal microfilm or microfiche.
Our custom search box searches a combination of reliable websites for genealogy information.
Reliable websites which provide helpful genealogy information:
A popular genealogy website.
Family History Library Catalog
We are a designated branch of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. Microfilm can be ordered online and sent to the library. For more information, call 847-870-3643.
Illinois State Archives
Depository of public records of Illinois State and regional archives with searchable databases for vital, land and military records.
Northwest Suburban Council of Genealogists
Local organization offering education and programs in family history research.